How long does it take to Caricature one person?
Pete takes between 6 and 8 minutes to caricature one person – or head – in traditional inks at a live event, such as a wedding, conference or party.
If he is drawing a couple on the same page, this is two heads. One caricature with two people takes 8 to 16 minutes.
The time depends on the conditions, lighting, the person being drawn (think bald man vs. woman with lots of hair, glasses and jewelry), as well as how much the person is moving around.
Do you travel for caricature and graphic harvesting events?
Yes, Pete is happy to travel anywhere in the country (and the world) for live caricature and graphic harvesting assignments. Travel and accommodation costs are covered by our clients.
What is the process for getting an illustration or infographic done?
Here is the general process we follow:
1. Contact us to tell us about your requirements. We are happy to chat briefly about your requirements and can advise you on the starting point for your project. If necessary we will provide samples from our online and offline portfolios. Any specially produced sample work, however, will be charged at normal rates.
2. We will then be able to quote and will provide an estimate of the time and costs. After you formally accept the quote, a 50% deposit is required before work can begin.
3. We will happily meet with you at the start or at any stage in the process, however, bear in mind that we never actually meet some of our customers face to face and are quite happy to work remotely. Meetings are charged at an hourly rate.
4. We complete the rough illustrations/infographics and send them to you for approval. We do build in time for revising and reviewing but should it become excessive we add the additional time to the original estimate.
5. We normally get all text and diagrams correct before finalising illustrations. The last step is to complete the line work and colour of the illustrations. This is when the work finally ‘arrives’ at it’s destination!
7. During the process we communicate via email and phone, and transfer files electronically via DropBox or WeTransfer.
8. If printer liaison (additional time) and printing (costs) have been included we will arrange that for you.
9. Balance of payment is usually due within 48hrs of completion.
Please don’t draw my big nose/double chin/wrinkles/give me more hair etc.
Pete’s style is simple, flattering and semi-realistic. His caricatures make people look younger and we frequently hear them say: ‘You made me look so beautiful’ and ‘You made me look 10 years younger.” If there is something particular you’d like him to add or ignore, please just let him know.
Can you caricature the bride and groom in advance, or after the event?
Yes, we can caricature the bride and groom, or other VIPs before or after the event. We offer generous discounts for extra caricatures if you have hired us for your event (minimum 3 hours).
Consider using prior caricatures for your wedding invitation, or to create a memento (guests can write messages on the print of a caricature on the day). You may also want to arrange prior caricatures of your bridesmaids and grooms as a gift. This will be charged separately as a traditional caricature and done from photograph.
If a guest at a wedding was not able to get his or her caricature done on the day, we usually offer a discount for a limited time following the event for traditional caricatures.
Can I get my logo on the paper?
Yes you can have a logo on the page. We are happy to organise this for you, but there will be an additional charge for the DTP, paper and printing. Please let us know you want branded paper when making your inquiry, and send us the logo at least a week in advance.
Alternatively, you can supply us with your own printed pages and we will use them at the event. If you supply your own branded paper for us to use, it must be A3 size and 300g white bond paper. We will supply the plastic sleeves to put it in for guests.
Can you do a sample for me in advance?
For caricatures, we have many examples of our traditional and digital style caricatures on our site. Please refer to this for style samples.
For illustration, we have a portfolio of some of our work on the website. If you don’t see something similar to what you want in the online portfolio, please discuss with us as we have plenty more examples in our offline portfolio which we will gladly send you.
If you still require us to do a sample caricature or illustration, this will be charged at normal rates for caricature from photo or for illustration.
How do I secure a booking with your caricature artist for my event?
For a quick response, send us an email inquiry from the contact box on this page. The information we MUST HAVE in order to quote for a caricature event is the date, starting and ending times, and location (address if possible). It also helps to know the type of event and number of guests. We can only quote accurately with all of this information, please! We will reply by email within 24hrs. If accepted, we require a 50% deposit which will secure your booking.
How many people can you draw in an hour?
The time is an estimate and depends on the guest and other conditions.
A traditional caricature with ink takes between 6 and 8 minutes per person – or head – that’s 7 to 10 people per hour. The time for a couple is between 12 and 16 minutes.
When working out coverage, remember that not all your guests may want a portrait done and that, while some will receive a portrait, everybody will receive the benefit of entertainment. Pete is normally surrounded by happy onlookers as he works.
To increase the number of people covered, either lengthen the time, or ask us to add another caricature artist. We can also draw VIP guests in advance from photograph.
What medium do you work in for live caricatures?
Pete works in the timeless medium of black and gray inks on white paper, using brush pens.
A digital drawing option is available by arrangement. This is done using a tablet in color and is transmitted, printed or projected, as required.
How long have you been caricaturing?
Pete Woodbridge has been a popular caricature artist for more than 16 years in Cape Town and around the country at countless weddings, parties and corporate occasions. His many years of life drawing, as well as illustrating people on his daily train commute, or sitting in cafes and illustrating customers and passersby helped to refine his skills. He works quickly and comfortably in any situation.
Why should I hire a caricature artist?
Hiring a caricature artist for your party or event creates memories, laughter, excitement and interest – and above all it’s good entertainment.
- Lucky guests receive the gift of a caricature portrait.
- Entertain all your guests as they watch an artist at work.
- Create and share illustrated memories of a special day.
- Create the opportunity to interact with your customers, make new contacts and spread your brand message.