Do you travel for live drawing and caricature events?
Yes, Pete is happy to travel anywhere in the country (and the world) for live caricature and live corporate drawing assignments. Travel and accommodation costs are covered by our clients.
What is the process for getting an illustration or infographic done?
Here is the general process we follow:
1. Contact us to tell us about your requirements. We are happy to chat about anything you require and can advise you on all aspects of a project. If necessary we will provide samples from our online and offline portfolios. Any specially produced sample work, however, will be charged at normal rates.
2. We will then work out how many hours the job will take and provide a quote with estimated hours and cost. After you formally accept the quote, a 50% deposit is required before work can start.
3. We will happily meet with you at the start or at any stage in the process, however, bear in mind that we never actually meet some of our customers face to face and are quite able to work remotely. Meetings are charged at an hourly rate.
4. We complete the rough illustrations/infographics and send them to you for approval. It is important that any changes are made at the rough stage as any major changes after finals have been completed will attract an extra charge.
5. Once approved, we will complete the final illustration/infographic. This is delivered to you electronically via DropBox. Minor changes can be done at the final stage.
6. If printing has been ordered we will arrange that for you.
7. Balance of payment is usually due within 48hrs of completion.
Please don’t draw my big nose/double chin/wrinkles/give me more hair etc.
Pete deliberately draws flattering, semi-realistic caricatures of all ages that make his older subjects look younger and almost childlike. If there is something particular you’d like him to add or ignore, please just let him know.
Can you caricature the bride and groom in advance, or after the event?
Yes, we do this quite often as the caricatures can be used for your wedding invitation, for example. This will be a separate caricature from photograph and is not included in the charge for the event. Likewise, if anyone from an event wants a caricature to be done afterwards, we will happy do it as a separately-charged caricature from photograph.
Can I get my logo on the paper?
Yes you can have a logo on the page. Please ask for this when making your inquiry, and send us the logo at least a week in advance. Alternatively, supply us with printed pages and we will use them at the event. Having a logo printed on the page will limit the type of paper that can be used to 300g white bond paper, which is fine with us, if its fine with you!
Can you do a sample for me in advance?
For caricatures, we have many examples of our traditional and digital style caricatures on our caricature page. Please refer to this for style samples.
For illustration, we have a portfolio of some of our work on the website. If you don’t see something similar to what you want in the online portfolio, please discuss with us as we have plenty more examples in our offline portfolio which we will gladly send you.
If you still require us to do a sample caricature or illustration, this will be charged at normal rates for caricature from photo or for illustration.
How do I secure a booking with your caricature artist for my event?
Please send us an email inquiry from the contact box on this page. Specify the date, starting and ending times, and location. Let us know whether you need equipment hire for digital drawing. We will reply by email within 24hrs with a quote. If accepted, we require a 50% deposit which will secure your booking. Inquiries that are not confirmed may be lost.
How many people can you draw in an hour?
The time is an estimate and depends on the choice of medium, the guest and environmental conditions.
Traditional – 6 to 8 minutes per person (7 to 10 people per hour)
Digital – 8 to 10 minutes per person (6 to 8 people per hour)
When working out coverage, remember that not all your guests may want a portrait done and that, while some will receive a portrait, everybody will receive the benefit of entertainment.
To increase the number of people covered, either lengthen the time, or ask us to add another caricature artist. We can also draw VIP guests in advance from photograph.
How do my party guests receive their digital caricatures?
We use BlueTooth to transmit the portraits to your guests on the spot. Alternatively, we will upload them to DropBox for you and you can then send them via email or social media.
Bear in mind that if you have hired a projector or TV all your guests will have benefited from watching the artist at work and will have received the benefit of entertainment.
What medium do you work in for live caricatures?
Pete works either in a traditional medium or a digital medium, depending on conditions and your preferences. Traditional is done on textured art paper using black or grey inks and a brush pen and is popular for daytime events and weddings. Digital is done using a tablet in color and is transmitted, printed or projected, as required. This is suitable for nighttime events, parties and corporate occasions. Either method may however be used for any type of event.
Examples can be seen on our Caricature page.
How long have you been caricaturing?
Pete Woodbridge has been a popular caricature artist for more than 15 years in Cape Town and around the country at countless weddings, parties and corporate occasions. His many years of life drawing, as well as illustrating people on his daily train commute, or sitting in cafes and illustrating customers and passersby helped to refine his skills. He works quickly and comfortably in any situation.
Why should I hire a caricature artist?
Hiring a caricature artist for your party or event creates memories, laughter, excitement and interest – and above all it’s good entertainment.
- Lucky guests receive the gift of a caricature portrait.
- Entertain all your guests as they watch an artist at work.
- Create and share illustrated memories of a special day.
- Create the opportunity to interact with your customers, make new contacts and spread your brand message.